45-Minute Treadmill Interval

45 minutes treadmill Workout

By: Nicole Nichols, SparkPeople Blogger
1/16/2013 6:00 AM : 136 comments : 1, 582, 655 Views

It's no secret that I'm not a huge fan of the treadmill. I love to run, hike and even walk with my pup, but I do it all outdoors all year round. Rain, snow, wind, heat—almost nothing can keep me from my outdoor workouts. For me, a treadmill is a "last resort" when I have no other option to get outside.
But I know that not everyone is as gung-ho about outdoor exercise as I am. Many people hate running in the cold or the heat. (Nothing wrong with that.) Others have no other option to work out, especially if they have to be at home with kids or don't live in a safe neighborhood for walking or running. And still some prefer the slightly cushioned surface of a treadmill, which takes away some of the impact of running, making it easier on the joints and even the spinal discs.
Whatever your reason, we've all turned to the treadmill from time to time. And the best way to prevent boredom and get great results from your treadmill workout is to incorporate intervals. Here's a simple workout I developed to help you torch calories with your trusty treadmill.
The plan is really simple. Be sure to warm up for about 3-5 minutes (I suggest a 3 to 3.5 mph pace and 0% incline) and to cool down the same way when it is over.

(Be sure to "pin" this for future reference, too!)

Here are a few of the great benefits from this simple interval workout.
  • Burn 100 calories* every 10 minutes. (Note that the calories burned for this workout are based on an average-weight woman of 150 pounds. People who weigh more will burn more; people who weigh less will burn fewer calories.) Each time you complete the set of intervals listed, you're torching 100 calories. If you're not up for the full 50-minute workout, start with just one or two sets of intervals. You'll burn 100 calories per set—not too shabby!
  • Intervals maximize fat burning. You'll walk and run and even push yourself to a high-intensity level with that 7 mph "sprint". This will help you burn more calories during your workout—and continue to burn them even after it's over. Learn more about why intervals rock.
  • Incline boosts. If you are not changing the incline on your treadmill when you work out, you are really missing out on one of its greatest features. That incline will push your heart rate higher and challenge you aerobically—and it's what helps you burn more calories in less time.
  • The walk-run combo works. You don't have to be a "runner" to follow this program. It's got enough variety with small bits of running and walking to work for a variety of fitness levels. Use it as a general guide; you can always increase or decrease the intensity to suit your goals and current level.

Give it a try and tell me what you think. I hope the time flies by and you really get a great workout with this one. After all, that's the whole point!
Do you have a go-to treadmill workout? What are your favorite ways to maximize your results when using the treadmill?

You will earn 5 SparkPoints
Like what you read? Learn more about SparkPeople,
or sign up for your free account today!
Got a story idea? Give us a shout!
Source: www.sparkpeople.com
INTERESTING VIDEO
Herbalife Fit 45 minute workout routine.
Herbalife Fit 45 minute workout routine.
4 Minute Treadmill Hill Sprint Workout - 15% Grade/8.6mph
4 Minute Treadmill Hill Sprint Workout - 15% Grade/8.6mph
Supergirl Upper Body Strength Plyo Minute 45 Workout PT
Supergirl Upper Body Strength Plyo Minute 45 Workout PT

INTERESTING FACTS
Share this Post

Related posts

45 minutes cardio Workout

45 minutes cardio Workout

APRIL 19, 2024

You heard right — this circuit cooks, and you ll have the skinny to prove it. We dared top Hollywood trainer Jeanette Jenkins…

Read More
Steve Cook Chest Workout

Steve Cook Chest Workout

APRIL 19, 2024

24g of Whey Protein with Amino Acids for Muscle Recovery and Growth* Go Now! Superset 1 When performing the close-grip bench…

Read More